PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds‘ is now live on the game’s test servers. Several changes are coming with it, including in-game TVs streaming esports events, a new car, a reputation system, and an update to ranked mode.
First up for the patch is the new PGI.S (PUBG Global Invitational.S). This event pits teams from around the globe against each other in weekly tournaments. Each week these teams will fight it out for placements, and will earn prize money as the overall tournament continues. If you want to watch these skirmishes play out, you can do so in-game as PUBG will now have 10 displays set up around the Miramar and Erangel maps which will livestream the tournaments while they’re happening. There will also be an event called PGI.S Pick’em where players can earn PGI.S gear for correctly predicting tournament winners. If you don’t want to see the livestreams in your game, you can opt to turn the TVs off in your settings menu.
Now for what this patch is bringing to the regular game. A new vehicle is entering the arena, the Coupe RB. It’s a vintage two-seater sports car that can hit a top speed of 150km/h. Be warned, it only spawns on the Miramar, Sanhok, and Erangel maps.
Also, in an attempt to keep player interactions healthy, the 10.2 patch is introducing a reputation system. You will be assigned a reputation rank from 0-5 based on how you treat other players. This ranking will be visible in the Team Finder, so other players will have an idea of what kind of teammate you are. As long as you’re not exhibiting behavior the game deems toxic, your rank will increase on its own as you play. Doing things like repeatedly leaving matches and failing to return, being reported for negative behavior, and being reported for suspected cheating could all cause your reputation rank to drop.
Speaking of leaving early, a tweak to ranked mode in this patch is altering penalties for leaving matches early to give players some leeway to bail on a match without being punished for it. These “leaver penalties” should be waived if you are still alive and exit the plane within five minutes of take off, with these caveats: You will need to have been queued for a squads game and be looking for teammates in the matchmaking system. Additionally, the plane will have needed to leave without a full team (less than four players), and no one in your premade squad can leave the game before the plane arrives.
And finally, for those who love to flex on their opponents, six new stunt emotes have been added for mid-air action on dirt bikes. The horn has been replaced with these, and they can only be triggered while in mid-air, on a dirt bike, when you’re not about to crash into something.
To see all these changes for yourself, check out PUBG’s test servers.
PUBG 10.2 Patch Notes
10 digital screens have been constructed across Erangel and Miramar to display LIVE esports events.
- PGI.S will be the first event live streamed directly onto these displays while in-game and in the lobby (main menu).
- When the stream is offline, the screens will display PGI.S trailers.
- You can choose to turn off the livestreams in Settings > Gameplay > Functions.
PGI.S Lobby Update
- The lobby has been updated and is now PGI.S themed for normal matches, along with some kickass BGM. PGI.S themed lobby has been updated for the normal match with kickass BGM.
- A livestream display as been added and is displayed in the lobby. It functions the same as those now found across multiple Battlegrounds.
Other PGI.S related updates
- PGI.S logo graffiti has been painted around buildings on Erangel and Miramar.
- The starting plane is now flying PGI.S promo banners on Erangel, Miramar, Sanhok, Vikendi and Karakin
- New PGI.S loading screen splash art has been added
- Max capacity: 2 (Driver, Passenger)
- Max speed: 150km/h
- Spawns only on Erangel, Miramar and Sanhok
- Reputation level will be displayed in the Team Finder and team member list next to player’s names.
- Reputation levels are indicative of perceived player behavior. Are you friendly, or are you toxic? Let’s hope the former.
- Reputation levels range from 0 to 5, for a total of 6 levels.
Reputation level is affected by the following factors:
- Player’s reputation level will naturally increase through normal gameplay in Normal and Ranked Mode Battle Royale matches.
- Leaving matches repeatedly and failing to return may lead to your reputation level decreasing.
- Reports received for certain negative behavior (obstructing gameplay, verbal abuse, team killing, etc.) may lead to your reputation level decreasing.
- Being reported for the suspected use of cheats does not affect reputation level. With that said, reputation levels will be affected greatly after receiving actual bans.
We’re updating Ranked Mode leaver penalties to allow players some leeway to leave without punishment in certain situations. You can check out all the details around the system and how it works below.
Leaver penalties should be waived for players who are still ALIVE and leave within 5 minutes after the plane takes off if the player :
- (1) Queued for Squads, requesting matchmaking find them additional teammates AND
- (2) the plane then takes off with an incomplete team (team of less than 4 players in Ranked Squad Mode), AND
- (3) a member of the player’s premade team hasn’t left the match before the plane leaves.
If a player qualifies to have their leaver penalty waived by leaving the match, then the match is considered to be competitively invalid for that player. This means:
- No stats are recorded on their Career page
- No change is made to their RP
- No matchmaking penalties are issued
- Players will be granted any Pass XP and BP they would have earned as normal
- New Stunt emotes exclusive for the Dirt Bike have been added.
- 6 new default stunt emotes can be used.
- The Stunt Emotes are triggerable only mid-air wile on a Dirt Bike – and when the player is not about to hit something.
- Hold LMB to trigger a random stunt emote
- Release LMB to stop emote
- Please note that the Horn functionality has been replaced with the Stunt Emotes for the Dirt Bike.
- Click on the top right notification center icon to see stacked notifications.
- When acquiring an item or a currency from out-game event etc. will toggle an notification.
- A message will be shown in the notification center to let you know if an item or currency is soon to expire.
Store QoL Improvements
- Opening crates upon purchase
- Players now can open purchased crates (Set, crate, random rate items) right way in the “Purchase complete” pop-up screen.
- 'Move to store’ button has been added when browsing an empty item category in the Customize Tab.
Lobby Chat system QoL Improvement
- Some cases of reports has been received that when using certain language input in our lobby chat system, client would minimize preventing the use of chat system.
- We have added a new message to guide players to change their display settings to Windowed or Borderless mode in order to use IME.
- Improved CPU performance by reducing physics calculation costs of invisible physics actors (vehicles, characters)
- Improved cases of hitching and FPS drops occurring when loading maps (and when entering and maneuvering the world)
- Reduced hitches occurring when updating a character.
Skins & Items
- Graffiti themed skin: 4 set items, 12 individual items (Sales period: 2021-1-13 Live server maintenance ~ 2022-1-12 Live server maintenance)
- Fixed the issue where some pass missions could not be completed on Haven.
- Fixed the issue where player could respawn in TDM with a Ghillie Suit equipped.
- Fixed an issue which caused foliage to clip through vehicles on certain maps while in FPP mode.
- Fixed the case where character’s body equipping a ghillie suit could be invisible to others.
- Fixed the issue where player could change perspective to TPP when spectating other players in FPP game mode.
- Fixed the awkward POV when viewing a Death Cam of a character equipped with a Ghille suit.
- Fixed the UMP-45 audio sounding strange when heard from a distance.
- Fixed the duplicate click sound played when pressing on the preview button in the customize screen.
- Fixed the issue where players could clip through a certain building in Abbey on Vikendi.
- Fixed the issue where incorrect RP changes were displayed in the match history section during placement matches.
- Fixed the issue where starting plane’s seat UI were sometimes displayed as empty.
- Fixed the issue where some pages of the store page not be loaded when entering store page after restarting the lobby.
- Fixed the issue where profiles of players located in ‘Unassigned’ ‘Observer’ section of custom match session cannot be loaded.
- Fixed the issue where the center screen pointer was not displayed in replays.
Skins & Items
- Fixed the issue where the visor of Mad’s Motorcycle – Helmet (Level 1) was not displayed when equipped by a male character.
- Fixed the issue where the nose of the Killer Clown Mask could clip through face coverings.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.